Tuesday 19 June 2018

Clifton Red-necked Phalaropes

Red-necked Phalaropes
Red-necked Phalaropes

Distant video clip
A cracking weekend of birding was wrapped up with a visit to Clifton to the east of Worcester. I'd been twice previously and was surprised the site had developed from a working gravel pit to an excellent open water area with three separate pools of various sizes. 

The Phalaropes were fairly mobile, observed at the east end but mainly central. I can't remember a pair being reported perviously so it was well worth the drive. The birds were very active picking insects from the top of the water. It was the first Red-necks I'd seen in breeding plumage. 

Keen to make the most of the afternoon I did a full lap of the main pool which had a nice selection of birds of which the highlights were the Great Crested Grebes & two Egyptian Geese. 

A family of Yellow Wagtails were feeding on the waters edge but were far to quick for me & the camera. 

I sat on the far side under the large oak and just watched the Phalaropes through my scope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment