Saturday 8 September 2018

Upton Warren visits & Marbled Duck at Grimley

Kingfisher (Upton Warren)
Black-tailed Godwit (Upton Warren)
Dunlin (Upton Warren)
Snipe with Lapwing (Upton Warren)
Little Egret (Upton Warren)
Little Ringed Plover (Grimley)
Dunlin (Grimley)
 Marbled Duck (Grimley)
With a few ongoing access issues at the pits I've managed to get in some bonus visits to the fantastic Upton Warren. 

Water levels at the Flashes are terribly low, so much so I'd never seen so much dried mud. I couldn't even muster a Green or Common Sandpiper. I did however find a Garden Warbler opposite the Flashes steps. With little to report I headed round to the Moors where I had much better luck with 3 Little Egrets, 2 Black-tailed Godwits, 4 Snipe, 183 Lapwing, 3 Pochard, 2 Sand Martin, Swallow, Water Rail, Sparrowhawk & 3 Buzzard.

On Saturday I helped out with the alldayer but there really wasn't any movement. Thankfully I did chip in by recording a Willow Warbler, Kingfisher, Treecreeper, 2 Goldcrests & a Jay. Other sightings included a Black-tailed Godwit, 7 Wigeon,  Cettis & 2 Little Egret. The final day score was 81 species.

The previous week I visited Grimley for what seemed at the time as a genuine Marbled Duck. Whilst there has never been an accepted record on the british list this duck looked to have a strong credentials. Hopes some what disappeared when another Marbled Duck was found in Worcester with many presuming both were part of an escaped collection.







No comments:

Post a Comment