Tuesday 21 April 2020

Pedal power to the pits

Male Cuckoo but not calling
 Rest stop at Cookhill
 Reed Bunting
 Red Kite
 Gadwall
 Yellow Wagtail in the rape crop
 Great to see a Coot
 Bluebells
 Pophills - note where reeds are now with increased water levels
 Two Wigeon on Pophills
 Blossom in full bloom

After an absence of over three weeks due to lockdown, I headed back to the pits on Sunday. The mode of transport was bike, whilst I really enjoy my biking, you do get some scary moments from cars driving too close that has really put me off using it.

It was always going to be a tester on my legs so I broke the journey into parts which seemed to work. As I approached Hillers a Red Kite flew straight over me which was an excellent start.

Instead on heading down the hill at Dunnington I turned right and headed past the sewage works. That choice paid dividends as two Yellow Wagtails flew into the rape crop field.

It was actually great to see main pit again, water levels as still ridiously high, but it was good to see some of the birds you take for granted like Gadwall, Little Grebe & Tufted Duck.

There are only two very small islands currently one hosted an Oystercatcher whilst the other had 5 Cormorants sunning themselves. Overhead I saw my first Sand Martins of the year, another privlidge. There were over 70 during the period I was there along with 20+ Barn Swallow but no House Martins.

In terms of gulls there was up to 6 Lesser Black-backs & 4 Black-heads all looking for there favoured island to nest which appears to have gone forever since the new water system was introduced. 

Whilst scanning for Wheatear around the Old Workings, a male Cuckoo flew right past me and perched on the tree sleeves by the main pit. I managed to get a few distant shots but I was hardly disguised in my cycling attire.

Two late Wigeon were the only highlight on Pophills before heading home rather pleased. The pit year list was now up to 96 and I'd had three useful addition myself taking my own count to 169.

No comments:

Post a Comment