Tuesday 4 August 2020

Clouded Yellow at Salford Priors GP become my 56th UK butterfly



In all honesty, I thought I wouldn't be extending my photography butterfly life list quest anymore this year. Yet low and behold I discovered a Clouded Yellow at Salford Priors midweek. I walk a number of ways around the Old Workings but on this day I took my least used route and this beauty popped out. Thankfully it was fairly cool so the butterfly only flew a short distance before landing where I was able to get some nice record shots thus becoming my 56th UK butterfly.

Clouded Yellows are a migrant butterfly whose numbers vary very much year on year. They have a remarkable breeding cycle whereby they lay eggs in June and may produce an adult by July.

The butterfly was seen by two other observers but no other images were taken.

3 comments:

  1. On the cliffs at Southbourne, Dorset. Clouded Yellows overwinter in small numbers and can be seen very early in the year in good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been keeping an eye out on my walks round the pit but had given up hope. Thanks for the record, I'll keep searching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments.

    ReplyDelete