Tuesday 20 October 2020

Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin at Stiffkey makes it 3 in 3


My best shot in difficult conditions 
The Nikon doesn't like twigs in the way
Big crop on this one but does show the tail
My first view of this mega rarity
Ready & poised
Muddy access only
Parking carnage but could have been worse
More muddy scenes
 The crowd awaits the star attraction
Video when seen close to car park
Salt marsh footage

We were about thirty minutes south of Holy Island on Saturday when the MEGA alert went off to tell us a Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin had been found in Norfolk.  There was no chance of us turning around as we already had a morning planned we were both looking forward to. We just considered what carnage would be taking place in of all places Stikley. A tiny village with very tight roads and limited parking. It was 40 years since (Prawle Point 1980) one was twitchable so a bit of planning would be needed.

I spoke to Craig Reed during the evening who happening to be within 15 minutes of the bird when it was found as he and Mike were just exploring the area for the day. Great timing for sure! Craig marked my card with where to park and head for so I decided I'd wait for first news and then take the pain and go. It would be solo trip with the rest of the gang tied up elsewhere. It's always harder to go when solo but I had a couple of podcasts and playlists ready to keep boredom away. The sat nav said 3 hrs 15 but I was parked up in 2 hrs 55. I managed to get a pitch at the top of the lane which was handy as the rest of the lane was carnage. A recovery truck had arrived to help a stranded birder which made it worst. I thankfully got the pitch as an early arrival had left.

After walking down the lane I was greeted with news it had flown into salt marsh! Hey ho....I was prepared with my wellingtons so off I marched. There were many who were not prepared for the awaiting mud bath. 

Very consious of social distancing I set myself up in spaced second row and decided I'd just be happy to see the bird. Photos and videos were not on my agenda. The crowd seemed very confident the bird was the area they were watching and they were right, after about 20 minutes the bird popped out for quick view before taking cover again. Now I just had to sit tight and wait for improved views.

I'd estimate there were 200-300 birders on and around the mud channel all looking at this large clump of suaeda in the marsh land. I got increasingly improved views during my visit but lets be honest this was no beauty! This scruffy robin, skylark sized, would never be winning any beauty contests. It perched occasionally and fanned its impressive tail but its upperparts where unremarkable with a buff dark breast. It's head had a dark supercilium and dark eye stripe. 

The experts considered the bird to be from the Cerchotrichas galactotes syriaca or C.g. familiaris race meaning the bird had strayed from around the middle east.

To be honest it was not a great experience and the previous two day had been much better but sometimes we go months without seeing anything new so I took the pain and did it. Right, next stop Scilly (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment