Sunday 23 May 2021

Spring day trip to Bempton


Gannets bonding
 
Puffin

Shot through wild flowers
 
Gathering nesting material
 
Razorbill
 
Love the tone on this Gannets crown

 
Barn Owl
 
Barn Owl
 
Just a few of the 11,00 pairs of Gannet

Puffin

Kittiwake

Kittiwake

Take off time

Corn Bunting

With this cold & wet weather system set to continue I had to make the most of any breaks so on Wednesday I woke up early and headed to Bempton Cliffs in Yorkshire. With no chance to get out to the Farnes this year, Bempton is the next best thing. The jouney from the midlands is around 3 hours 20 mins however I shaved 15 minutes off that with a clear run from a 4.45am depature. The staff at Bempton hadn't arrived at the centre when I got there. 

The Tree Sparrows were chirping away as I passed the visitor centre and headed down towards the cliffs when there in front of me was the local Barn Owl hunting and not taking any notice of a small audience stood in admiration of the birds flying skills. Both Corn Buntings & Tree Sparrows were singing from fence post on the edge of the same field. 

The cliffs were fulls of birds nesting and protecting their territories for another busy season. Bempton is a place you really appreciate what is in front of you, just full of life in every direction. I won't list the species observed as all were very much as expected. I did have a walk around Flamborough but couldn't add anything to what I'd seen at Bempton but I did help a few people see their first ever Puffins.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment