Monday 29 August 2016

Garganey Morton Bagot

A quick early check on Thursday evening informed me a Garganey was back at Morton Bagot and knowing in was a guaranteed nice walk (although muggy) I made the short drive before heading past the log pile towards the flashes. 

The hedgerows were pretty quiet but I noted a couple of Wrens, Long-tailed Tits, four Chiffchaffs, Green Woodpecker, four Linnets and a Lesser Whitethroat before reaching the flash.

As I arrived at the Flashes it was all very quiet except for a Green & Common Sandpiper, two small flocks of Teal and a couple of Snipe. The ducks then took flight after being startled by a long bang towards the far side. As the birds flew past I picked the Garganey up in flight and followed it closely before it landed much closer on the first flash. I immediately called Mike Inskip who had missed it only ten minutes before and was pleased it was still present in my scope when he returned. The ducks did take flight again but this time landing behind the trees on the first flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment