Wednesday 18 April 2018

Movement at last

Lesser Whitethroat
Scanning at the pits
Super truck
Abbots Salford flash
 Gull trouble
Grey Heron family 
Sole remaining local Wigeon 
Cormorants 
Grey Heron
I was out around the patch on Monday - as my car was in for repair I was in my loaned super truck. I spent an age scanning for migrants but still no real movement. A Sand Martin was the only bird moving through whilst on the pits the main action involved the now resident Gulls who had got their hands on a egg for breakfast.  With five pairs flying around it could cause plenty of trouble for our regular breeding species.

I then tried Abbots Salford as they tend to attract warblers before ourselves. This theory was correct as I found a pair of Lesser Whitethroat clearly stealing a march on other warblers in the scrub. A single Wigeon was an interesting record whilst 7 Grey Heron & a Green Sandpiper were the other records of note. 

Late morning I met head of Ragley Farming Hamish Stewart for a coffee at Hillers. Hamish is very passionate about his conservation & explained how species such as Barn Owl, Skylark & Lapwing are doing really well. Of the 10 new Barn Owl that went up last year a number have new residents. Let's hope the Tree Sparrow boxes have similar success but everyone accepts this is more difficult. Whilst not a birder himself, Hamish was very interested in our sightings recorded and wished to be kept in touch. Let's hope this a first step to a progressive partnership.

No comments:

Post a Comment