Sunday 1 March 2020

The beast of the Uptons


   





I did a 14 hour day at work on Wednesday so took Thursday off to take advantage of the Glaucous Gull which has been roosting at Upton Warren. The walk down to the hide was in complete darkness and it was a case of waiting for light to break to see this absolute brute of a bird. The bird was the very last gull to leave the roost but was good enough to hang around for a good wash & preen before flying south.

On Saturday, news emerged the same gull had been seen at Upton Snodsbury which is only ten minutes from the pits. So after my Sunday count with Jon I headed over on the hope it had returned. As I headed towards the Church I picked the Gull out flight high above the village. The bird kindly landed in the field to the north of the A422 giving absolutley amazing views.

The bird seemed very content in the field feeding on earth worms and on occasions visting the field directly behind. If you have never seen this species I'd suggest you make a special trip over to enjoy this great bird.


1 comment:

  1. Hello, where did you park for the Glaucous. Thanks

    ReplyDelete