Tuesday 2 November 2021

Scillies - Day 3 - Spotted Sandpiper at close quarters

 Spotted Sandpiper giving amazing views





Snow Buntings at Watermill Cove




It was an early start of day 3, both Paul & I had the same thought to get to Watermill Cove for first light for high tide as this should hopefully give us the best chance of seeing the Spotted Sandpiper. I have seen a couple before but Scilly always lets you see birds well, this remains a common theme on my visits.

We didn't have to wait long as the bird flew onto the rocks as the tide crept towards us. That side of the cove was completley in the shade and the six birders present were very grateful when it flew across the cove into the sun. The bird fed up and down the rocks only 30 feet in front of us. A Brambling and Yellow-browed Warbler were also calling behind us.

Very pleased I headed on my own round the coast to the east as I find that part of the island very special. Feeling very relaxed I even had a chill and paddle on one of the beaches before continuing my walk.

As I approached Deep Point I saw some movement dip down behind a rock. As I crept closer there were a total of 4 Snow Bunting (2 originally seen), these birds were just a couple of yards from me. Given how they were so confiding I thought it was a good place to stop of lunch and I enjoyed the birds for an hour and didn't see another person.
 

My other other additions were a scoped Spoonbill and a Great Northern Diver.

Evening meal was a tasty Chilli prepared by Heather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment