Sunday 30 October 2022

Isles of Scilly - Day 2 - Great birding around St Marys

Richard's Pipit
Wilson's Snipe (left)
Stunning views around the island
Stonechat
Fieldfare arrive had started
Wilson's Snipe
Turnstones

Fieldfare
Views from the east of the island

A full day on St Mary's was the plan. My plan was to head to Giants Castle for some sea watching before continuing north and undertaking a large circuit. I'd just got myself comfortable at Giants Castle when a Richard's Pipit was found at the airport. Being a Sunday, we were allowed to walk on the airfield, allowing some stunning views. A Lapland Bunting also flew over whilst watching the pipit. Also present were two Golden Plovers.

Seawatching resulted in a couple of Great Shearwater, 1 Great Skua and a steady flow of Gannets all heading west.

Porthhellick Bay was pretty quiet except a couple of Oystercatcher & Greenshank. An hour at Higher Moors enabled me to see Wilson's Snipe, 7 Common Snipe & 6 Gadwall. There were normal numbers of Stonechat & Turnstone around the island.

I then made the mistake of thinking the rain was further away but it caught up with me bigstyle, resulting in me having to walk home soaked to skin from Telegraph. I don't think I raised my binoculars once in three miles.

Paul had booked us in for a roast dinner out, which was just the job after a real drenching. Batteries recharged and I was looking forward to St Agnes the following morning.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment