Tuesday 1 November 2022

Isles of Scilly - Day 4 - Red-rumped Swallow & Red-breasted Flycatcher

 
Red-rumped Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow

Red-breasted Flycatcher
Peninis Head Seawatch

A Red-rumped Swallow had been seen on the north of the island the previous evening but I just didn't have the energy for another eight mile round trip so I wandered along Porthcressa, adding Common Gull to trip list, before heading towards the harbour. Just I past the Police station I picked up what I thought was a late or could it be.....Yes it was the Red-rumped Swallow.

One of the locals appeared behind me, so I asked them to put it out on the radios as What's App was down. What a drama...well it was for a few birders. As I edged towards town, the bird appeared again over the Mermaid. It seemed to stay pretty loyal to this area for the rest of my trip.

I bumped into Paul by the dump clump when I had my first Yellow-browed Warbler quickly followed by a Red-breasted Flycatcher sitting out in the sun.

I saw 2 Firecrests just before the rain started, so I headed back to take cover for a late lunch. The rain relented, or so I thought, so I headed up for some sea watching. There was a steady flow of Gannets, 4 Manx Shearwater, 5 Great Shearwater and 2 Sooty Shearwater. For the record, I was drenched again. It's not always sunshine in the Isles of Scilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment