Wednesday 2 November 2022

Isles of Scilly - Day 5 - Love a Firecrest !

Firecrest
Firecrest
Yet another stunning view
Old Town Church yard
My only cake & coffee breal of the week
Ring Ouzel
Black Redstart
Flight home over Cornwall
Bush Cricket

As it turned out, this would be my last full day as I needed to return home earlier than scheduled. The best bird reported on St Marys was an American Buff-bellied Pipit. I'd tried the area a few times on my walks but we tried again as a group. Whilst we were confident we heard it fly over, we just couldn't find it on the ground despite a lot of searching. We did find two Black Redstarts, 5 Skylark, 30 Meadow Pipt and a cracking male Ring Ouzel.

I decided to try again for the Firecrests at Careg Du Gardens. I love Firecrests and it varies year on year how many you see. The good news was I'd seen them the day before, so I knew I just needed to find the right spot and wait. Although it was windy, you could still hear them, making it fairly easy. Getting a couple of record shots did take a bit longer but I really enjoyed watching this stunning species at close quarters.

Many thanks to my housemates and all the other birders who made it an enjoyable break. 52 weeks to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment