Tuesday 1 April 2014

Sandwich Tern at Earlswood Lakes


 Sandwich Tern
Great Crested Grebe

A late start at work enabled me to check Arrow Valley for any new migrants. I'd hoped with the recent influx of Little Gulls around inland water one may have drifted to East Worcestershire, sadly no luck. I located 7 singing Chiffchaffs all new for this year whilst a pair of Coal Tits were a surprise on the east path. Bird song dramatically increased today with Nuthatch, Song Thrush, Chaffinch's and Wrens all making the most of warm temperature.

An early afternoon check on my phone resulted in seeing Matt Griffiths ( ) had found a Sandwich Tern on passage over the Engine Pool at Earlswood Lakes. After confirming it was still present I left work sharpish to head to this part of Warwickshire which is only 15 minutes from home. Opting to park up by Terry's Pool car park I quickly located the Tern on the first island. I was then treated as it flew around the lake diving and feeding. You could see why these are the largest of British breeding terns and it showed its speed when quickly flying away from the persistent and annoying Black-headed Gulls.

It was great to see a Sandwich Tern so close to home and perhaps I might see this one again when I visit the Farne Island later on in the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment