Tuesday 29 April 2014

Whitethroats return

 Ipsley Meadows
Common Whitethroat

Common Tern

With a week of mixed weather I've been down to Arrow Valley plenty of times hoping to catch some thing new. It's a bit strange some times when you are the only person there walking in the rain. However this was rewarded when I managed to observe two Common Terns land in the south corner of the lake for about 15/20 minutes. Once rested they did a couple of laps of the lake before gradually getting higher and flying north east. (Arctic Tern also reported this week)

The scrub land on the back of the east path has been a hive of activity this week before 4 Common Whitethroats seen on Thursday along with Long Tailed Tits, Chiffchaffs, Greenfinches, Willow Warblers along with the normal resident birds.

Two Heron chicks are now clearly visible but I'm still unclear how many other nests are actually being used this year. 

Two Reed Warblers were also new migrants to arrive on lake side. 

After a ramble around the east side on Saturday I walked down the River Arrow to Ipsley Meadows, an area I remember well from my childhood. Despite the persistent dog walkers (all very friendly and keen to find out what I'm watching) its an area that has matured and could well attract some nice birds. On this visit I found at least two Lesser Whitethroat. Despite my best efforts I was unable to get any sort of image for a record but I will be trying again.




No comments:

Post a Comment