Wednesday 24 September 2014

Masked Shrike tops the bill at Spurn

Spurn
Masked Shrike
East coat
Masked Shrike
 Barred Warbler
Red-Breasted Flycatcher
Wheatear
Looking towards Spurn Point
Deer beside the Sea
Sea Watching
Spurn Point
Spurn Location Map
The first Saturday out of the umpiring cricket season restricted me as I had to drop the eldest in Warwick as he was off to Lords to support Warwickshire in the Cup Final and I was supervising my other sons 13th Bubble football birthday party in Bromsgrove (brilliant party I might add). With an 8am drop off complete at Warwick parkway I headed a junction up the A46 to Brandon Marsh. 

As I drove down the long drive a Green Woodpecker skimmed the pasture to start the day off well.  The marsh held a 40+ Wigeon that had returned and were in the company of the normal suspects of Greylag, Canadian Geese, Shoveller, Lapwing, Gadwell, Little Grebe, Teal, Snipe and 3 Ruff which did not hang around very long. On leaving the reserve I had a quick check on Twitter to see a Great Skua had been reported at near by Draycote Water. I did make the short journey over but sadly the fisherman and sailing boats had moved the bird on.

Once home RBA revealed a juvenile Masked Shrike had been reported at Spurn in East Yorkshire. Despite it being 3 hours away and there had only been two previous records in the UK and the fact I’d always wanted to visit this unique peninsula the draw was extreme. In additional there had been Olive-backed Pipit, Red-breasted Flycatcher and Barred Warbler reported. Local photographers Vern and Phil had let me know they had been during the day but the weather was shocking and were well up for a return visit the next day.

We decided to wait until the Shrike was located on Sunday before setting out on the journey north east. Having control of the IPOD I opted to blast the lads with Bowie, the Killers and the Rolling Stones to keep us going. Vern was clearly distressed with no Rhianna or James Blunt whilst “Sauntering” Phil grooved in the back. Vern was most proud that I over took a police van above the speed limit !

On arrival in Kilnsea the boys kindly dropped me by the field where the juvenile Shrike had been showing whilst they went to park the car. Much appreciated lads ! The short range migrant was showing very nicely in the hedgerow and I managed to squeeze into a nice gap which a twitcher had vacated. The Shrike moved closer and closer allowing some great views and great shots for the photographers. There were probably about 200 people watching the bird at this time. Further down the hedgerow there were numerous Redstarts and a Stonechat.

This was my first major twitch as I’m not a fan of big crowds yet the Spurn Bird Observatory had done a super job organising the crowds and parking and respecting the bird so often forgotten. Once satisfied on the great views on offer we headed up the road to the Crown and Anchor pup where we didn’t have to wait long to see the Barred Warbler. I was all set to get a nice digiscoped image until a grade A *ickhead stood right in front of my scope. Thankfully the lads both got good shots, at least I did take in some nice views.

We only got brief views of the Red-breasted Flycatcher at our next stop but we did locate a Garden Warbler and Chiffchaff.

Reports of the Olive-backed Pipit were very sketchy but try as I did this elusive skulker failed to show in the canal area and with nothing else to stare at except grass and reeds I opted to search for more Red-breasted Flycatchers. The walk back along the beach produced many Wheatears, Redshank, Dunlin, Whinchat, Swallows, Little Egret and Golden Plover.

Looking back into the hedgerow I located a lovely Red-breasted Flycatcher feeding close to the ground which I watched for five minutes before a local cheeky Robin chased him off.

The lads opted for another chance to watch the Shrike but I headed to the east shore line for an hours sea watching before heading home. A good few birders had the same idea. Highlights were 5 Sooty Shearwater including one that came really close showing his silver underwings, 50 Little Gull, 4 Grey Plover, 3 Red-Throated Divers, 3 Manx Shearwater and 10 Gannets (sadly no Skua’s)

Although tired the returning journey was full of good laughs even the 20 miles of restricted speed limits and road works couldn’t dampen spirits from a serious days birding. Thanks to Vern for great images kindly captured that I couldn't digiscope.


No comments:

Post a Comment