Saturday 13 September 2014

Temminck's Stint at Clifton Pits

 Spot in Stint ?
  Spot in Stint ?
 Picture care of Vern Wright
Snipe at Upton Warren

One of my target birds in Autumn is a Temminck's Stint so when photographer kindly text me one was reported at Clifton Pits in Worcestershire I duly booked an early finish at work to pick both Vern and Phil up at Upton to make the small journey south of Worcester. I hadn't been to the south pit before so it was at the second attempt we found the destination we wanted. 

A high bank allowed us some cover as we observed the bird at a distance as shown in the first two images. There were 2 Kingfishers, Lapwing and Green Sandpipers present. The bird quite often flew to either end of the muddy bank so we needed to keep a close eye on this juvenile. I then noted the bird take flight, only to land within 30 feet. Vern and Phil took up position on the bank quicker than two paratroopers taking cover under fire and both managed to get some great shots. 

We observed a large flock of Goldfinch and Linnets on the walk back to the car to round up a great couple of hours. 

On Saturday I was on umpiring duty at Belbroughton which allowed me a few hours over at Upton Warren supporting the All-dayer. Upton bagged a very respectable 86 species in the day. Highlight of my own session was watching the Snipe at very close quarters at the Flashes.




No comments:

Post a Comment