Tuesday 25 November 2014

November shower dodging

Autumn at Hewell Grange
Cormorant at Hewell Grange

With the weekend forecast not looking great I decided I'd be better having two sessions locally rather than a long distance trip.

On Saturday I headed down to Salford Prior Gravel Pits where there wasn't very much different from the previous weekend. Sightings included 1 Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpipers, 140 Black-headed Gulls, 81 Coot, 2 Buzzard and 70 Canadian Geese. 

On Sunday just a few miles away near Harvington, a possible Rough-legged Buzzard was reported. That would have been a great bird to see. I'm just trying to find out whether Jon managed to see it. Jon reported an additional Chiffchaff, Jack Snipe, 3 Wigeon and Kingfisher on Sunday.

For my Sunday fix I headed to Hewell Grange where I hadn't been for a good while despite it being my closest site to home. The signing in and out procedure discourages me sometimes as I just want to get the scope out and get going. Whilst there wasn't any superstars I got some amazing views of good number of Goldcrests, 30 Shoveller (which is a great count considering there is 35 at Upton Warren Moors), 200 Canadian Geese, Nuthatch, 2 Cormorant, 9 Great Crested Grebes and my first Kingfisher on site.

No comments:

Post a Comment