Thursday 6 November 2014

Snow Buntings on Malvern Beacon

Montage image
 East path



 Digiscoped images from distance


With a sharp exit out of work it was a case of foot on the pedal for 4 junctions south on the M5 to head to the Malvern Hills. I parked at the Brewers Arms pub in West Malvern before setting off up the path towards the Beacon. I had forgot how steep the path was and the stiff wind made it all the more difficult.

After reaching the summit in 25/30 minutes it was then time to start searching, not easy with it blowing a howlie straight in your face however patience paid off when I picked up some movement a good distance down on the east path. On setting up the scope I found two birds feeding. After observing at a distance I edged closer after some dog walkers passed the birds and they barely moved.  This was the first time I'd seen Snow Bunting in Worcestershire and was very different to where I last saw some on Norfolk beaches.

After reporting the birds to Brian Stretch of Worcester birding I opted to drop into Brian's Worcester shop, Birders Store,  to have a look at his tripods as mine had literally been on his last leg for months. A handsome new beast was purchased and at the same time Brian kindly did a running repair on my binoculars which was much appreciated. Just need to save my pennies for a set of these !

No comments:

Post a Comment