Sunday 30 November 2014

Short-eared Owls steal show at Hawling




After the Rosy Starling in Bristol and a good session at Slimbridge I was already happy I'd had a great day but I decided to stop at Hawling on my way home to see if I could pick up a wintering Short-eared Owl. I'd never been to this location before but the habitat stood out so finding it was no trouble at all. There were three photographers set up and this number increased to around 18 as the light faded. 

Patience was the order of the day as for the first two of hours I had to be content watching two Stonechats perform along the wall. A Kestrel hunted the Owl fields whilst there was an occasional fly over by Raven, Redwing and Fieldfare.

A Red Kite came into view on the other side of the road and was quickly joined by another 3 Kites and a Buzzard before they went off to roost.

By this time the crowd had reduced to just 5 people of which non were photographers. Our patience was rewarded when 4 Short-eared Owls hunting at the top of field and then edging closer towards the viewing area. I just love watching these birds and it was a case of them passing a glance at us whilst they carried on their daily business. An amazing sight, it must be said. If I lived locally I'd be up there every night without a doubt.To top the day off I found another Shortie hunting a few miles north of the location.  

Thanks to Pete Walkden for file image.


No comments:

Post a Comment