Monday 21 May 2018

Spring break (Day 2) - Portland & Lyme Regis

Sandwich Tern

Wheatear
Little Terns
Great Black-backed Gulls
Little Terns
Purple Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
Purple Sandpiper
My first full day in Dorset so I headed east towards Portland. First stop was Ferrybridge, where I found a sneaky early bird car parking bay that gives you great views of the Fleet and right opposite the Little Tern colony. The Terns were very active but I'd estimate there were around 50 Little Terns & 12 Sandwich Terns present. A Ringed Plover had also established territory so it could be a very exciting spring.

Down at the Bill sea watching was about quality rather then quantity. An Arctic Skua ( one of two seen) came really close to lighthouse chasing a gull and I also added two Great & Pomarines. Other passage included 100+ Manx Shearwaters, 30+ Common Scoter, a Great Northern Diver & 30 Gannets. Guillemot & a couple of Razorbills were on the sea and cliffs. On the deck it was much quieter than expected however I did see a Tree Sparrow in the observatory garden and also picked up a couple of Rock Pipits & a Wheatear. 

After a quick recharge I got the bike ready and did a very difficult lap of Lyme Regis. I was rather pleased the 11 regular Purple Sandpiper were still present and even in winter plumage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment