Monday 21 May 2018

Spring break (Day 5) - Aylesbeare Common & Bowling Green Marsh


Dartford Warbler Video
Dartford Warbler
Stonechat
Red Kite
Dartford Warbler
Ruff
Saints centre forward
Donkey Santuary
My next destination would be Aylesbeare Common, a heathland reserve managed by the RSPB. My local sources told me not to go too early as my target species the illusive Dartford Warblers are best seen when the insects feel the warmth of the sun. 

I got onto the reserve about 9am to find two separate birders who had been there since dawn and not seen anything ! Also warning me the winter snow may have killed them off. This could be more difficult than last year. 

Yellowhammers and Linnets were very vocal in a number of locations then I picked up the scratchy call of a Dartford. Promising……I set myself up in a shaded spot on the main patch & just waited. Within 10 minutes I was treated to some fantastic views of the species. 

There looked to be two pairs with the one male occasionally crossing the border into the other pairs territory creating much havoc for the resident pair. The birds showed well for around thirty minutes before slowly drifting back into heavy cover.

Just near the trig point a pair of showy Stonechat amused me as six Red Kites past over head part of two day passage of Kites over Cornwall & Devon.

Bowling Green Marsh was pretty quiet but there were a pair of Ruff's of which the male was displaying on the main spit with the Bar-tailed Godwits. The only additional sighting of note were 4 Bar-tailed Godwits in the estuary.

I spent most of the afternoon at the fantastic donkey sanctuary near Seaton. This brilliant charity do some amazing work and it's a great place to spend a few relaxing hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment