Tuesday 27 August 2019

Wryneck at RSPB Middleton Lakes

Wryneck - just wow
Hunting for ants
Stunning pattern along the bird's back
A good crowd late morning

An excellent start to the week when a Wryneck was found at RSPB Middleton Lakes. I'd only seen one previously so I decided it was well worth the 40 minute drive from home.  I had expected a bit of a bun fight but I was pleasantly surprised there were only 5/6 birders present and the bird was showing instantly from the west screen. I enjoyed watching the bird for about an hour before it was startled when someone stepped to the side of the screen. The bird took flight and was not seen again for a number of hours. I used this hint to explore the rest of the reserve when I noted 3 Little Egrets, 1 Great White Egret, 1 Common Sandpiper and a good number of warblers before returning back to the car. 

Many thanks to those who got the news out early, it made the experience much nicer in the cooler temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment