Tuesday 19 November 2019

Eastern Yellow Wagtail puts end to poor Autumn

Eastern Yellow Wagtail 
 Eastern Yellow Wagtail 
Bearded Tit
Snow Bunting
Through the marshes
Snow Bunting
Wagtail crowd waiting

I've found this Autumn particularity frustrating with the pits being under water and very poor counts, whilst birds I've wanted to see elsewhere haven't stuck around. On top of this we have had the Lesser Kestrel and Paddyfield Pipit ID saga ongoing. We haven't had enough good days this year with the car full of friends, good birding taking in a rarity with good coffee or a pint pending time of day.

After doing the pits on Saturday, 3 Pochard were the only birds of note, I spent the afternoon researching the family tree and debating a jolly out on Sunday. Norfolk appeared favourite yet the reported Eastern Wagtail in Suffolk looked feasible as a pattern of it's appearance certainly gave hope.

Walberswick is a solid 3 hours 45 minutes from home so I was expecting a long day behind the wheel. However if I scored early there were a number of other local sites I could explore including Minsmere.

The journey was long despite being free moving. Parked up I duly headed towards the coast starting on heath land before the marsh started which then edged into shingle beach, where the Wagtail had been seen.

As I edged past the Windmill there was a flock of Bearded Tits pinging their alarm call. I'd never seen so many together. There must a have been a deer moving the reeds that was setting them all off. I managed to get a couple of photos but it wasn't easy as they were swinging on the reeds.

There wasn't any problem tracking down the Snow Buntings as I picked a couple up straight away when reaching the beach. This flock of about twenty were around the whole day feeding within 20 yards on many occasions.

The Wagtail had flown south an hour before I arrived and it was case of staying patient and hope that it returned. Whilst waiting I noted a Great White & Little Egret, 2 Snipe, 5 Dunlin, Great Black-backed Gulls, Meadow Pipits, Snipe, a Yellow Wagtail(my latest ever) and flocks of Wigeon on the sea.

After three hours of waiting my patience was wearing thin in all honesty. It was cold and I was ready for something warm to eat and drink. Just as I had the thought of "I'll give it ten more minutes" the Eastern Yellow Wagtail duly landed on the front edge of the pool showing well before heading to the grass to feed & fly catch. There was in all honesty very little yellow showing in it's current plumage, the upperparts were dark grey and underparts whiteish with a hint of yellow. Its dark ear coverts & dark lores which are the reported diffences to a Yellow Wagtail. It's call was a stand out difference being loud and raspy. 

Just after being completely satisfied with my observation the bird took flight again south down the coast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment