Sunday 3 November 2019

Scillies - Day 4 - St Agnes delights

St Agnes
Lapland Bunting
Lapland Bunting
Lapland Bunting
Pipit & Bunting search party
St Agnes views
Wheatear
Pint at the Turks Head
Red-throated Pipit
                                                    Yellow-browed Warbler

Time for a change of scenery. Having never been to St Martins and with birders reporting it being very quiet I decided to head over to St Agnes instead. It was nice to just wander about for the morning without chasing anything in particular. 

I took an early lunch sat on the beach just happy watching a distant pod of Common Dolphins through my scope whilst a couple of Wheatears dived around me on the large stones.

As I edged round the island I heard a zipping over head which then stopped as the bird landed in a field at the top of the hill. Thankfully as I reached the brow of the hill there were three birders watching this Red-throated Pipit. I'd only seen one previously so this was a real bonus. The bird look flight at regular intervals with the Meadow Pipit flock. 

In close proxitity was a Lapwing Bunting showing really well. As well as taking some decent photos I managed to scope the bird on maximum capacity allowing me to see every little detail.

A Red-backed Shrike got spotted mid afternoon but despite looking in all possible locations I couldn't repeat the sighting I had there last year.

A bird that I watched at very close quarters was a Yellow-browed Warbler. This little beauty was flying close to the beach. Birding is just amazing when you witness moments like this.

I wrapped up my afternoon with a pint at the Turks Head before heading back to St Marys.   


A Red-flanked Bluetail was found in the closing minutes before the boat left but sadly only 3/4 birders got lucky. The bird was not seen again.  



No comments:

Post a Comment