Tuesday 14 January 2020

All the grebes kinda a day in Rutland

 Juvenile Goldeneye
 Greenfinch on the feeders
 Superb winters day
 Black-necked Grebes
 Drake Smew
  Red-necked Grebe
Great White Egret
 Marsh Tit
 Goldeneye
Egyptain Goose - a local speciality
 Stunning views all around
One of many flocks of Wigeon

I took advantage of an extra day off on Friday for a bit of winter birding around Rutland, well I had been in work for 4 days !

First stop was a quick tour of @1stbirdoftheday's local patch in Warwick. Keep your eye on his feed and blog and I reckon there might just be a good bird or two there in the coming months.

Next stop was Eyebrook Reservoir where after a bit of scoping from a couple of different stops we found three over wintering Smew, 2 drakes and 1 red head.

As my regular followers will know I'm a regular at Rutland and know my way round quite well. Often the same species are in the certain arms of water. The problem for any Rutland novice is you can't find where to park and access the birds. Thankfully my previous knowledge was put to good use as we found 2 Black-necked & a Slavionan Grebe quickly. 

The Red-necked Grebe had been reported off Old Hall but we didn't have any luck so I suggested to try in the opposite direction to where I found it last year. Rolly picked out a good suspect for it and we used my Swaro 85 ATX to zoom on to confirm it's ID. 3 Grebes in a day......

We headed back to the North Arm where we added two Scaup, Little & Great White Egret. Our final stop was on the other side of the water where we added a Marsh Tit & Greenfich to our day list and had some fantstic views of Goldeneye from the Teal hide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment