Tuesday 7 January 2020

Great Grey Shrike on Loughbrough Uni drop off

 Love a winter Shrike
 Full zoom on
Posing nicely as I headed back to the car

  

On Sunday I took Gussy back to University at Loughborough after his christmas break. The roads were very quiet and we quickly unpacked. With time in hand I dropped down the M1 a couple of junctions to the edge of Northamptonshire on the way back to try and see the reported Grey Grey Shrike. The location was on some rough ground that backed onto an industrial estate.

I made the wise decision to put on my wellingtons as all the land was very wet. As I headed up the field I flushed Common & Jack Snipe. There were a couple of birders in the distance looking through a scope so I headed in that direction. They were watching the bird at a reasonable distance until it disappeared. Whilst the other birders headed home I headed for the top of field and kept scanning.

After 15 minutes I picked up the Shrike again which then allowed me to  get some ouststandnding views in my scope and a few hand held distance photos. There is always something magical about watching a Shrike on a cool winter morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment