Tuesday 15 June 2021

Swallowtails & Dragonflies

Swallowtail
Swallowtail

Swallowtail

The Broads


Norfolk Hawker in flight




With no new birds emerging and the pits very quiet I had a morning at Strumpshaw Fen in Norfolk. I'd only seen Swallowtails once before so it was great to see them at close quarters. Despite it being warm the breeze had picked up so sightings were restricted to just three. 

After enjoying the butterflies (2 Painted Lady, Large White, Red Admiral) I did a long walk round the reserve where a couple of Marsh Harriers passed over. The reserve is well known for its amazing dragonflies so I'd made sure I got to see the rare Norfolk Hawkers who were active on the woodland walk but difficult to photograph. Other species I recorded was Four-spotted Chaser, Black-tailed Skimmer & Hairy Dragonfly.

On the way back I stopped at a couple of places and recorded Stone Curlew, Wood Lark and was very lucky to get a Honey Buzzard flyover.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment