Thursday 1 July 2021

Roll up Roll up ......finally a Roller

What a bird ! European Roller


You Tube Video

 
Roller in my first field guide

When I used to read my Shell Guide to Birds of Britain & Ireland the European Roller was one of those fantasy species. Do birds like this really come to our country I used to think. Since I became interested in seeing rarer birds there has never really been one close enough to go and see, or those found haven't stayed long enough to drive there. Looking at archive records, it really shouldn't have taken so long as they appear to be recorded bi-annually. There are over 300 records but a high percentage of those were pre 1950.

With work being ballistic, I dismissed the first report as soon as I saw location was Suffolk. On closer inspection, it was actually west Suffolk, Icklingham, only 2 1/4 hours so I planned to head on first news the next morning. The A14 is super road these days however I never like passing Newmarket without calling in. 

The birds location was close to the main road (A1101) and given the parking looked mad I drove past the location to a country park and just walked back approximately a mile to be safe. I did expect the scene to be a little crazy but it was very calm probably due to the Roller being very loyal to a set of telegraph wires and would fly to ground to catch various insects including dragonflies and worms.  There are some stunning photographs across social media channels of the bird.

The birds size was similar to a Jay, and was calling (when I watched it closely through my scope). The colours of the birds feather was as stunning as I'd seen in that first field guide many years before. 

With the first half the year coming to an end, it's been a pretty good year to date for rare birds even given the lockdown period when we were all stuck on our local patches. To record eight new species in these six months has been really pleasing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment