Sunday 25 July 2021

Western Rufous Turtle Dove on first trip of year to Spurn

Now thats a view, Rufous Turtle Dove
 


 Having a good preen
Video clip taken from below location
Dove perched high in central tree

Spoonbill
Little Gulls with Sandwich Tern behind

Med Gull 

After a month of pure fantasy birding in June I was pretty sure the car wouldn't be needing any more petrol as historically July is statisically one of the worst months for seeing new birds. As I sat at Edgbaston watching Warwickshire receive a tonking from Nottinghamshire, news broke of Oriental Turtle Dove in Easington, Spurn.

I had a few plans on Saturday already so I hatched a Sunday plan which Mick T would hopefully give me some early news whether to head on with my journey. I'd done about an hour when positive news landed which made the rest of journey totally stress free. Whilst hoping I'd see the birds fairly quickly, I didn't actually need to get out of the car as it was sitting high in a tree just behind the bungalows. I'd actually seen a Rose-coloured Starling in the same tree a few years ago.  

Quickly set up with scope I enjoyed some fantastic views in some stunning morning light where you could study the birds features well. The species is "meena" Rufous Turtle Dove, and should become the 11th accepted record since the turn of the century. It's quite amazing how these vagrant birds make it here from breeding grounds of central Asia. All birders were very grateful of Paul French who found the bird in his garden and gave many birders access when the bird was not in public view. Birding near houses is never easy however it's pretty much a daily occurance in Easington.

It was nice to catch up with a number of Spurn locals and regular birders I see around different places on the circuit. 

After a nice session with the Dove I had a relaxing day around Spurn and recorded some excellent species including Little & Sandwich Tern, Little Gull, Spoonbill, Ringed Plover, Greenshank, Golden Plover, Curlew, Bar-tailed Godwit & Dunlin.

Spurn does it yet again............

No comments:

Post a Comment