Monday 20 January 2014

Pink Foot at Throckmorton

Pink Foot in front of Greylag
 Throckmorton Lagoons
Barnacle Geese
 Buzzard

I needed to leave Otmoor on time to enable me to get back to the Outlaws in Pershore to watch my beloved Southampton FC on the TV. They started well taking a 2-0 lead but had to settle for a 2-2 draw. After a nice lunch I checked Worcester Birding news only to see a Pink Footed Goose had been reported at Throckmorton Lagoons. Given it was only a mile from the normal journey home I paid this site a quick visit. Roadside parking and no signage wasn't the best but as I walked towards the lake I could see another birder Worcestershire Gavin Armitt. Gavin kindly put me in direction of the bird straight away. The bird was preening on the distant island. I took a shot for the record but distance and light was poor. 

A Peragrine flew across us and a Kestrel hunted on the opposite side on the lake. The lake also contained some local Barnacle Geese, Greylag, Tufted Duck, Pochard, Little Grebe and Canadian Geese. 

The Pink Foot was a Worcestershire first for me and certainly ended a very busy day on a great note. On the way home I took the Buzzard photo with my phone from my car seat. 

The weekend finished by sitting in the fading light at Upton Warren hoping to see the Bittern resulting in another failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment