Thursday 2 January 2014

Wet and Windy start to 2014


It's amazing how bad the weather can be when you are off from work and you want to get out. My original plan was to head to Slimbridge but the shocking weather paid to that idea. I opted to stay local and try see 3 target species - Little Owl, Great Grey Shrike and Brambling.

The Little Owl was not showing at all when I arrived and who would would blame him given the weather, however I changed my angle of viewing and through the scope I could see him sheltering from the rain and the wind. The top photograph was kindly provided by Pete Walkden which shows how beautiful this Owl is in better weather. The second photo was my record shot through my scope in appalling light.

I then headed down the road to the Great Grey Shrike plantation however despite my efforts I couldn't locate him. Rosehill on the Lickey Hill's was the next destination where I located a flock of 30 Brambling on the Beech trees on Twatling Road. No sign of Crossbills but it was no hammering down with rain.

On the way home I stopped at Lower Bittell where there was 2 Scaup which was a real bonus given the conditions. Goosander also present in afternoon.

I did make the return journey in the afternoon on the hope of seeing the Shrike before it roosted. Finally at 3.40pm I located him flying to end of large Oak tree in the centre of the field.

A total of 39 species over the two sessions not bad considering the weather had put pay to a number of the normal very common species.

No comments:

Post a Comment