Sunday 10 May 2020

Day of the Grizzled & Dingy Skippers

Grizzled Skipper
Grizzled Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Lesser Treble Bar Moth
Lesser Treble Bar Moth

With a warm week forecast and an extra day off I intended to try and get to a couple of local sites I was too late for last year. My campaign to photograph all the UK Butterflies didn't really start in earnest until I'd seen first my Swallowtails in Norfolk on the way back from the Horsey Lesser Grey Shrike midway through 2019.  

Honeybourne is only a few miles from the pits so armed with my local knowledge from Lloyd I headed to this very small location. The area is an old railway line and is not a dedicated reserve. The good thing was, I was unlikley to see anyone else which I didn't except one local dog walker.

The actual first part of the walk is quite pretty and I recorded two Grizzled Skippers after quite a few ups and downs of the same strip of path. On the other side of the railway line butterflies were much more plentiful with good numbers of Dingy Skippers and a few more Grizzled. Other sightings included a Small Heath, Peacock, Speckled Wood, Orange-tip and Brimstone.

Bird sightings included Garden & Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Swallow, Lesser & Common Whitethroat & a Cuckoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment