Tuesday 19 May 2020

Marsh Fritillarys at Strawberry Fields



Marsh Fritillary

Marsh Fritillary




Just the start of the walk with Sue & Dave leading
Dingy Skipper
Small Blue
Small Blue
Starting point (this takes some finding)
The Strawberry Bank


When I first started to look at Butterfly guides the Marsh Fritillary was definate top three on my most wanted list. The butterfly is a stunner and has a 'under threat' status in the UK. To see this beauty I would have to head to Strawberry Banks in Gloucestershire. It was great that Butterfly Dave could join me with his wife Sue for the day to show me the area. This was Dave's first outing after his health scare, he could have certainly picked an easier place to get to and walk, thats for sure. There is no signage and very narrow roads so I was very grateful I was following Dave & Sue. 

Once parked we made the ski slope decent down to the reserve. How anyone finds this without being with someone I will never know. The temperature had dropped and it took us around 15 minutes until we found our first couple of Marsh Fritillarys buried in the grass. It took another 20 minutes before any took flight and then more emerged every minute providing us with a feast of opportunites to get some pleasing photos.

In addition we recorded small number of Small Blues & large numbers of Dingy Skippers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment