Tuesday 31 December 2013

Final day dip at Lineholt

The final morning of 2013 I headed out to the fields of Lineholt by Ombersley Golf Course to try and see the reported Hornemanns Arctic Redpoll. The bird had been seen just 15 minutes before I arrived so I was hopeful despite the horrible weather. Three hours staring at bean poles and marrows in the drizzly rain was rewarded with nothing other than views of some regulation Lesser Redpoll and Meally's. 

I ended up standing with a couple of big year listers. The chap directly on my right was on a stunning 345 species in the year and clocked 39,000 miles. Thats some serious commitment in cost and time. Not sure its great for the environment though. Certainly not something you could do every year. 

I therefore finished the year on a pleasing 226 and certainly learnt plenty more about birds, conservation and the environment. Lets see what 2014 brings. I most certainly would like to visit the Farne Island in Northumberland to visit the Tern colonies, other birds outstanding would be White Tailed and Golden Eagles, Black Gouse, Wyrneck, Black Redstart, Shearwaters,in fact sea birds in general is an area I'd like to improve in. Fingers crossed a gem lands on patch also !

With the forecast looking very poor tomorrow it could be a slow start to the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment