Saturday 3 January 2015

Ferruginous Duck opens New Year account

First view for 2015
Bewick Swans
Ferruginous Duck
Ferruginous Duck
 Little Egret under Holden Tower
Ruddy Shelduck
 Black Redstart
Black Redstart

As per most years I headed down to Slimbridge for the 1st January. It rarely disappoints and a good quality coffee and cake always seals the deal.

A couple of sharp and frosty nights had improved weather conditions for migration so there was around 180 Bewick Swans in the reserve or just outside. A single Whooper Swan was also viewable from Sloane Tower, a Slimbridge first for me.

Looking out in to the Rushy Pen there was an array of birds to watch including a large flock of Pintail that were very close outside the hide allowing terrific viewing.

I quickly popped my head in the Willow Hide to see if there was anything on the feeders to find a Water Rail skulking among the reeds. Sadly the light was to poor to get any sort of image.

The Holden Tower was full of birders on an organised walk but I managed to sneak into a space. A lot of the wading bird flocks had dispersed with the recent cold snap but there was still plenty to note. The male Peregrine sat on the bank waiting to make his move. 

Sightings from the Holden Tower included 4 Cranes, 800 Wigeon, 100+ Dunlin, 2 Little Egret, Redshanks, Lapwing, Teal 300 Golden Plover and 2 Little Stints that were great entertainment - very busy individuals.


I then headed across the reserve to the Asia Pen where I registered for first lifer for 2015 as a female Ferruginous Duck was still present. It was a bit odd watching a rare bird with absolutely no one else present. I had a couple of sessions watching the bird and she was definitely the star of the show. 

The Kingfisher and Ziess Hide didn't have anything of note other than a few pass finches and 50+ Carrions.

On the South Lake a female Ruddy Shelduck was just in front of the hide. Exact origin no one can be sure. Other sightings included 7 Ruff, Black-tailed Godwits, Lapwing, Cormorants, Shoveller, Pochard, Shelduck and Gadwall.

I hadn't been able to track the White-fronted Geese so Dave Painter one of wardens told be to look north from Sloane Tower as they were in a field there. There were around 140 White-fronts and a single Pink-footed Goose.

With it looking like it might stay dry for another hour or so I made the short journey south to Sharpness to see if I could catch up with the male Black Redstart. Literately as soon as I got out of the car I saw him take flight and then gave some great view for an hour before I headed back up the M5.

No comments:

Post a Comment