Tuesday 20 January 2015

Owls and mud at Hawling

 Short-eared Owl hunting close (Pete Walkden)
 Barn Owl
 The great wall of Hawling
What you guys looking at !
(Pete Walkden)

With the weather set fair and no wind the temptation to head to Hawling was to big a draw on Sunday afternoon. The journey took just under an hour around Winchcombe and into Gloucestershire. Pulling up in my usual place I some what underestimated the muddy road sides as my BMW duly sank to a position of no return. 

Given my helpless position I decided I'd make the most of the time anyway and set my scope up and await the Owls. As if by perfect wish, the first Short-eared Owl appeared out of the long grass and sat up on the wall which I grabbed a quick digiscoped image.

Within a few minutes 4 Shorties were out hunting the meadows. Their distinctive barking call always makes a great listen and it wasn't long before the Owls were clashing in front of audience of birders and photographers. A couple of times one of the Owls rose to around 250 metres before spectacularly descending. Watching these Owls is true natural phenomena and it's great to see them hover quickly before pouncing on their prey.

Thankfully a fellow birder and wife with a Land Rover came to my rescue by pulling me out of the thick mud I was stuck in much to my relief and I then had a quick drive around and found a more firm place to park. With the light fading I decided to try and locate the Barn Owl I saw last year. After about 5 minutes of walking I was treated to some fantastic views of the Owl hunting along the walls and he even perched up where I took a shot (in very bad light).

Another great afternoon in Hawling……………...


No comments:

Post a Comment