Tuesday 20 January 2015

Strictly Draycote

 View from the feeder end of the water
A treble - Smew, Goldeneye and Great Crest Grebe
Close up of Smew
Draycote Water

A cold and clear forecast made me determined to make the most of Saturday morning with a couple of good hours birding at Draycote Water. The afternoon would be spent at the NIA (Barclaycard Arena) watching Strictly Come Dancing for the wife's birthday. 

The drive took around an hour and I duly paid my £2.50 parking fee. I headed straight down Farborough Bank where I located the wintering Drake Smew among the Goldeneyes and Tufted Ducks. A super looking duck and I managed to grab a couple of digiscoped images.

There had been a couple of White-fronted and Pink-footed Geese reported lately however there was no sign out on the water or in the fields behind. There were big numbers of Great Crested Grebes along the bank whilst the Pied Wagtails flew constantly backwards and forwards feeding on the rocks.

I then headed round to the far end where I caught up with a flock of around a dozen Tree Sparrow. They did seem to be rather on edge and were not hanging around to be digiscoped. Heading back around the waters edge there were 20 Goosander whilst my first Kingfisher of the year flew past out looking for an early lunch. 

Sadly no time to try out the coffee and cake in the visitor centre, next time perhaps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment