Tuesday 10 February 2015

Earlswood Lakes Caspian Gull

Screenshot of Matt's Twitter feed

Saturday morning took me across a very cold Hereford to watch the youngest in Cross Country County Championships, rather him than me. Brrrrrr!

Once returning home I set off to Earlswood Lakes, about 15 minutes away, to catch up with a 2nd winter Caspian Gull. The Gull certainly didn't make it easy as I trekked around all three lakes on the look out. A couple of Goosander were the highlights and made up for the rather treacherous paths around the Windmill pool. 

Matt (@earlswoodbirds) text me I'd be better staking out both lakes from the causeway. As I headed back around I picked the Gull up swimming with the Black-headed Gulls. As typically happens two walkers flushed the group of gulls and despite my best efforts and then Matt's we couldn't relocate it. The bird has now also been reported at Upper Bittel so I wonder if its roosting there or perhaps at Bartley.

We did pick up nine Goosander flying over as we had a good rattle about this year Patchwork challenge. We came to the conclusion that I was just ahead of him at the end of January as I'd bagged a couple of 2 point birds. Scores should be out this week. Both of us have benefited from other birders now visiting our particular area's which is a great benefit as between us we have more chance of finding a superstar.

No comments:

Post a Comment