Tuesday 10 February 2015

Steady start at Salford Priors GP

Gravel Pit birding (Flock of Teal just above skyline)
Sparrowhawk (Steve Nash)

With a late morning airport run looming I had to restrict myself to a just a couple of hours down at the Gravel Pits on Sunday.

Viewing was difficult at times as fog seemed to come and go. A Sparrowhawk was hunting the migrant hill on the farm despite getting harassed by a couple of Magpies. I was quite hopeful a Goldeneye located midweek may be around but sadly no luck. The Green Woodpecker seemed very busy around the plantation as I looked for the Long-tailed Tits that still remained outstanding on the year list for the site. Jon reported he had flushed a Tawny Owl and a Woodcock but neither myself or Lee had the same luck.

The main pit contained the normal suspects however Teal number had increased to 112 and a count of 32 Cormorant was above average. As I edged along the main pit 3 Goosander (one Drake) circled looking to land but then opted to move on sadly. I had a total of 10 Jack Snipe and 25 Snipe throughout my walk and the main meadow had four Skylarks and Meadow Pipits which I watched closely through my scope. Only other notable sighting was the orchard were still full of Fieldfare and Redwing.

A good visit but gutted to have missed Tawny and Woodcock. I did thankfully see our local Barn Owl on the previous Monday evening after Lee had seen him hunting on the Sunday. I would really like to try and capture him on a good photograph but he doesn't seem to come out to hunt until its dark.

The Sparrowhawk photograph was sent to me some time ago by Racing Post photographer Steve Nash who I've known for a good many years. Thought it would be good to show it on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment