Monday 16 February 2015

Long-eared Owl at Burton Mere Wetlands

 Can you see me ?
Roosting Long-eared Owl
A great view of the reserve on the walk to the Owl location

The whole week I'd seen a Long-eared Owl reported at Burton Mere but would it play ball and hold out for my weekend visit as it was a species I'd never seen before. 

Arriving in the car park at around 8.30am the helpful member of staff marked my card as to where the Owl had been roosting. If was definatley a wellington boot type of walk along board and muddy patches. The walk is around 15 minutes if you have your foot down and perhaps 30 if you stop at all the great viewing screen and feeding stations.

Once I reached the railway line I turned left and started scanning all the hedgerows knowing the owl would be well disguised. I found the bird almost to the exact spot I was guided to and this beauty was probably only ten metres away. He didn't seem at all bothered by the coming and going of birders wanting to admire him or in fact the trains that were rushing past him on the other side of the hawthorn bush he was roosting in.

I wondered down to the hide where I observed the Ring-tail Harrier, Shelduck, Water Rail, Black-tailed Godwit, Pintail, Lapwing and a nice flock of Wigeon and Teal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment