Tuesday 10 February 2015

Owls and Kites in Cotswolds

Red Kite above Great Barrington
Always a great site
 Short-eared Owl
 Barn Owl
 Short-eared Owl
Double Trouble

After completing my airport drop off the serious good weather tempted me to head to the Cotswolds for a few hours of exploring. First stop was Great Barrington where I had a good search for a wintering Hen Harrier with no avail. The area was stunning and four Red Kites circled the fields. Other sightings included Kestrel, Buzzard and a Peregrine perched on the airfield mast.

I then made the short journey to Hawling to watch the fantastic Short-eared Owl's. They were already flying by the time I'd arrived so I opted to stay away from the crowds and watch from a small gap near the cross roads.

The decision paid dividends as the Owls started to hunt the edge of the long grass which enabled me to get a few record shots. The Owls even crossed over the roads on a number of occasions so you would wonder if the voles are now running low in the main field. The local Barn Owl then appeared and hunted right in front of me before battling with one of  the Short-ears for hunting rights. At one time the Barn Owl was in the grass only to be bombed by the Shortie. It was awesome viewing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment