Monday 16 February 2015

Laughing Gull at New Brighton

Laughing Gull on pontoon
Fly past
New Brighton location
Marine Lake, New Brighton
Laughing Gull getting involved in corporate advertising
On his own on the pontoon
An idea for any birders heading this way
I do love a light house

With a reported Laughing Gull (first reported on 3rd February) within 25 minutes of Burton Mere Wetlands I thought it was well worth a try and I'd never seen one before. In all honesty I was expecting it could be hard work however within two minutes from getting out of car I picked the Gull up flying from the beach area to the Marine lake. 

In all honesty the bird is never going to win any beauty contests however it was interesting to note the contrast between the white rump and black tail. I was impressed with how the bird didn't want to associate with any of the other Gulls. Some of us just like our space at times.

This first winter Laughing Gull was the first seen in Cheshire since 2001 and has travelled from the arctic. There were plenty of birders and photographers of which I did notice a couple trying to bribe the bird to come closer with some chips and bread ! It was interesting a second winter bird was recorded across the Irish Sea.

With it being low tide there were no Purple Sandpipers around which was a shame but I did pick up a couple of year ticks with Oystercatcher and Turnstone.


No comments:

Post a Comment