Monday 20 April 2015

Black-winged Stilt's at RSPB Middleton Lakes

 Black-winged Stilt
 Black-winged Stilt
 RSPB Middleton Lakes
 Woodland view
 Common Tern
 Gadwall
I've got no idea
Yellow Wagtail

After an early morning patch visit followed by some sports taxi duties and watching the lads play their Saturday sport, I couldn't resist the temptation of a 40 minute twitch to RSPB Middleton Lakes which is close to Drayton Manor Park.

The service road had showed minor signs of repair but the old huge crater pot holes were still there as you edged towards the car park. Six Swallows were flying around the quary workings half way up the drive.

Making the walk down the lakes the Warblers sounded in good heart espiacally the Blackcaps that could be seen in most of the bushes. After crossing the canal I quickly scanned the first pool to find a drake Garganey sleeping on the edge of the island. It had been reported earlier on in the week, when leaving 2 hours later, I couldn't relocate the duck much to my annoyance.

I headed down towards the screen and the far end of the reserve where two Black-winged Slits were showing well through the scope. It will be interesting 
to see how long they stay or even better could they potentially breed given their success elsewhere.

The year ticks continued to be observed with three Common Tern, Ringed Plover and Whitethroat whilst I recorded at least three Cettis Warbler, Litte Egret and three Avocets.

Finally as I headed for car I located a Yellow Wagtail in a horse paddock as I was starting to scope a Green Woodpecker. I was chuffed to bits with the find.


A great visit but do wish they would sort out that service road.


No comments:

Post a Comment