Wednesday 1 April 2015

Red-necked Grebe at Farmoor

Red-necked Grebe
Red-necked Grebe
Showing very well
To much to swallow
Perhaps not……..
Black-tailed Godwit at Holt
                         Black-tailed Godwit at Holt (digiscoped through trees)


This Saturday I headed to New Road, Worcester for my pre-season umpires meeting. On the way I called in at Sling Pools, Holt to find a nice Black-tailed Godwit feeding in the pools. Around 150 Fieldfare and Redwing were poised in the fields ready to return to their breeding grounds. I called in at Grimley where the only notable discovery was a first summer drake Goosander which is apparently a difficult bird to see at Grimley.

After my umpires course I made my way over to Farmoor Reservoir, Oxfordshire to try and see the reported Red-necked Grebe. I wasn't convinced I had made the right decision as on arrival it was blowing a gale and raining ! 

After completely walking the wrong round way around the reservoir (poor decision given weather) I found the bird in full summer plumage by the jetty. The bird made it well worth the drive and walk as it showed within 25 feet allowing me to get a couple of sharp digiscoped images. I took advantage of the bird showing well for a good hour before heading back up the M40.

No comments:

Post a Comment