Monday 20 April 2015

Move movement at Salford Priors

Returning Reed Warbler

Thursday afternoons visit to the pits saw me find my first Hobby of 2015 with it flying through in the field where Redstart was last week. It did perch up for a few seconds before it spotted me so I could 100% confirm its identification. A pair of Kestrel were hunting the Snipe meadow whilst a single Swallow past me when on Pophills.

On Saturday, Lee arrived at the same time, so we set off together around the site. The main pit was pretty much as normal minus the Sandpipers. Two Sand Martin did pass through which pleased Lee as they were his first of the year. As we headed past the Old lagoons a Cuckoo took flight heading past. We tried and relocate the bird but sadly no luck. We did however find 4 calling Sedge Warblers of which one allowed us some great views. The Little Ringed Plovers were noted in three different locations.

I had my first umpiring appointment on Sunday so I had to start well before Jon. On comparing the sightings he had the superior return. My only additional sightings to Saturday was a Hobby that flew from edge of planation and number of Reed Warblers that had arrived overnight. I flushed three late Snipe from the top of one of the bunds. It was great to see and hear them in the reed beds again. Jon recorded a Whimbrel flying through, Common & Lesser Whitethroats and Yellow Wagtails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment