Sunday 22 December 2013

Bogey Bird lands at Bittell



The Great Grey Shrike has definatley been my bogey bird of 2013, I've managed to dip a Shrike twice during the year and miss another one when one was reported at a place I'd just returned from much to my annoyance. You can only imagine my frustration when one was reported close to Lower Bittell on Friday when I was on a training day with no chance of making it before dark. Lower Bittell is under 10 minutes in car from home.

As soon as it was light on Saturday I made the short journey to Hopwood hoping to locate the bird.  Within five minutes I saw the Shrike perched on a hawthorn bush in the centre of the field and then fly further away out of view. The Shrike was clearly not enjoying the attention from a local dog walker who was in the plantation. 

I did try and drive to the other side of the plantation without success as I couldn't find the bridge I needed, so I returned to lay-by where I'd originally parked. After a period of about 20 minutes Dave Jackson located the bird flying right. The bird then gave superb views across the plantation where I managed to take a record shot through my scope. Thankfully Vern Wright was on hand to take a great shot that shows much clearly the bird and the habitat.

The Shrike became number 226 on my year list, very pleasing to get this late addition in December. Fingers crossed the bird hangs around for the winter as It would be superb to have such a great bird so close to home.


No comments:

Post a Comment