Tuesday 24 December 2013

Grebes and wet boots


Another very grey looking day first thing but headed out for a quick lap of the lake. Nothing of a major note however the Great Crested Grebe numbers were back up to their normal level of around 7 whilst the single Little Grebe found on my previous visit was present again. I'm not quite sure where they disappear to certain weeks of the year.

The meadows on the back of visitor centre have become slightly flooded and there were significant numbers of Black Headed Gulls taking advantage of the small flashes.

I saw my first Greater Spotted Woodpecker for a number of weeks where I'd located the Goldcrest previously. The Cormorants (15) were busy feeding around the lake and no doubt teasing the fisherman. Only other notable sighting was 4 Goosander (1 Drake) in the top north east corner of the lake which is a new location for them.




No comments:

Post a Comment