Wednesday 11 December 2013

Golden Plovers at Earlswood



Golden Plovers

An afternoon appointment in Solihull enabled me to stop off in Earlswood as local patch birder Matt Griffiths had reported the return on the Golden Plover in the field by the Hungry Horse. I first approached from Cleobury Lane but the birds were very distant and the sun was coming straight at me. After taking a couple of shots I drove round to Norton Lane. Whilst this lane is substantially busier with cars, the views on offer were excellent. About 200 Plover took flight with 70+ Lapwing and put on a fly pass before flying on however looking at the field there was still another 200+ Plover. I managed to get a few record shots before heading off. 

If any one else is heading that way I'd suggest parking near the resorviers and then just taking the two minute walk as parking roadside is not ideal.

When reading about Golden Plover recently I'd didn't know the birds prompted Sir Hugh Beaver (then chairman of the brewery) to found the Guinness Book of Records in 1955 when querying the speed (up to 60 mph) in Wexford, Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment