Monday 9 December 2013

Marsh Tit on patch

 Marsh Tit (Arrow Valley Park - File photo)
 Cormorants
River Arrow - By Ipsley new lake
The Moors - Upton Warren

Stayed local all weekend so visited Arrow Valley Lake and Park Saturday morning and Upton Warren Sunday morning.

I parked at the bottom of Ipsley Mill Lane and walk around the Ipsley New Lake that was as always very quiet. The hedgerows along the River Arrow were packed with Redwings (80+) again and a couple Fieldfare. Walking back towards the lane I was pleased to see a Marsh Tit practically above me. I had some great views and heard it call before it was disturbed by the charity Santa Bike ride passing by. I did try and relocate but without success.

The walk to lake was mainly about the Redwings again all being very busy with their calls and feeding. Their was a number of Great Tits by the bottom of the highway flyover. 

In the Lake area there were 16 Cormorants who were busy around the reserve whilst I counted 5 Great Crested Grebe, 5 Grey Herons and a single Shoveller. The lake does struggle in terms of wildfowl as the islands restrict the amount of clear open there is, the ducks must fear predators.

After reaching the North side of the lake on the east path I then headed out along the playing fields and scrub land. This is the area I saw a Common Redstart in the spring. I think this this area is one I need to explore more as it has potential to throw up some gems. Today I had to settle for 3 Nuthatches, 2 Jays, Song Thrush, Kestrel and a stonking male Bullfinch. 

Upton Warren looked great in the winter sunshine and on arrival I was greeted by a calling Cettis Warbler and a flyover by a Curlew. Most of the birds were pretty much as you would expect at Worcestershire leading reserve however I watched Lesser Redpoll feeding by Lifestyles whilst a Sparrowhawk flew past as I left the hide. Plenty of diving ducks to be seen including Tufted Ducks (35), Shoveller (8) and Pochard (30). A single Jack Snipe and Snipe were present also.



No comments:

Post a Comment